Directive # 23
June 16, 2014
“Then Elijah said to him, Stay here; the Lord has sent me to the Jordan.” And he replied, “As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So the two of them walked on.
Elisha was the servant of Elijah. He served Elijah faithfully and had a call from God to take Elijah’s place once the prophet would be taken by God to Heaven. The two walking together toward the last place but even more to the fulfilment of God’s plans, before Elijah was taking by the Lord and to the passing of the mantle to Elisha, it tells me the need to dedicate ourselves to model, mentor and teach the next generations of leaders, helping them to hold the mantle and go forward in pleasing the Lord and taking the call to impact our children and grandchildren. “So the two of them walked on.”
Deuteronomy 34:9 “Now Joshua son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom
because Moses had laid his hands on him.”
Mark 3:13-14 “Jesus went up on a mountainside and called to him those he wanted,
and they came to him. He appointed twelve that they might be with him and that he
might send them out to preach.”
Acts 11:25 “Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he found him,
he brought him to Antioch.”
2 Timothy 2:2 “And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses,
commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”
1) Lord helps us to see the call and leadership in others and help them to reach their fullest potential
2) Every pastor and leader could be able to reorganize their agendas to spend time in mentoring the
next generation of leaders.
3) Lord helps us to know when and how we need to step down (not stopping serving you) but to yield
to the following generations of leaders for them to continue the work of the Lord.
4) Be willing to make somebody else walking with us while we are teaching and modeling to them
5) Being intentional to recruiting leaders and train them to serve the Lord with faithfulness
6) The Lord mobilize leaders to raise up the level of consciousness to work with others and the
importance of team work.
Dr. Luis Avila
National Director, Hispanic Ministries & INE