By Janese Bennett
On Saturday, November 7, 2015 close to one hundred people gathered to dedicate the King Heritage House in Franklin Springs, Georgia. In 1922, Bishop J.H. King built this home for his wife, Blanche Moore King and their four children—Easter Lily, Joseph, Virginia, and Mary Ann. Following the death of Joseph King in 2014, the International Pentecostal Holiness Church (IPHC) acquired this property that will serve as a museum and a memorial to the King family.
Presiding Bishop Beacham welcomed the crowd and expressed gratitude to Mrs. Sue Carr, the executor of the King estate, and the Carr family for their diligent work to preserve the King house for the church. Many gave of their time and resources to make this day possible. As a result of their hard work, the King Heritage House will now be available for tours, small group meetings or as a place to find solitude for reflection and study. A multimedia presentation in the sun room provides historical videos of the King family, IPHC General Superintendents and Women’s Ministries Directors. For more information or to arrange a visit to the King House, please contact the IPHC Archives and Research Center.
Dr. Harold Hunter, director of IPHC Archives and Research Center, shared about his recent trip to Shanghai, China, where he visited the jail where W.H. Turner and his wife were imprisoned as well as the place where J.H. King preached. He was overwhelmed by the appreciation and love he felt when pastors learned that he was from the church of J.H. King. Hunter reported, “The fire of the Holy Spirit still burns in the places where King ministered.”
It was a special privilege to have the grandson of William E. Fuller, W.E. Fuller, III, present on this special day. William Fuller worked closely with J.H. King in the formation of the Fire-Baptized Holiness Association in 1898. Fuller recalled that when his grandfather would speak of J.H. King a tear would come into his eye. “God is no respecter of persons, and King knew this… Bishop King was a lifelong friend and mentor to my grandfather.” He concluded by pronouncing a blessing on the King Heritage House, “May this home represent the cause of holiness and the cause of Jesus Christ.”
Dr. Tony Moon provided a brief summary of the impact J.H King had on the holiness movement around the world. King has been considered “the most astute theologian in the first generation Pentecostal movement.” His leadership left an indelible mark on the International Pentecostal Holiness Church. According to Moon, two of King’s lasting contributions were a focus on quality education and a balanced approach to Christianity. Dr. Moon has written the definitive biography of J.H. King, which will be released in 2016.
The dedication ceremony concluded with a dedicatory prayer offered by Bishop Tommy McGhee, executive director of IPHC Discipleship Ministries. McGhee prayed that the Lord “Keep us always balanced between enthusiasm and scriptural teaching… and may this place serve as a place of inspiration.”
Presiding Bishop Beacham, Bishop Tommy McGhee and Sue Carr joined in the ribbon cutting ceremony to officially open the King Heritage House.
The operation of the King Heritage House is only possible through generous contributions of Friends of the King House. Presiding Bishop Beacham encouraged those present to join him in making an annual contribution of $100. Contributions can be made online or by check earmarked Account #00005PX to: IPHC Ministries, P. O. Box 270420, Oklahoma City, OK 73137-9911.
*Photo Credit: Janese Bennett