A quote from a recent email that I receive daily from Streams in The Desert, stated that “the reality of Jesus comes as a result of secret prayer and a personal study of the Bible. Christ becomes more real to the one who persists in the cultivation of His presence.” There is no better time to begin this cultivation than as a child.
The Book, The Power of the Prayer Covenant, by Candy Marballi with Stephen Eyre, is designed specially to help children learn that prayer is important and can be fun. The book is designed to help both parents and churches develop a strong prayer life in their children. “It meets children where they are but doesn’t leave them where they are.” This generation of children and youth want to impact the world; there is no better way to do this than through the power of prayer. Jesus said in John 15:7, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”
The results will be:
- Children who will INFLUENCE others in godliness,
- Who are becoming mature DISCIPLES of Jesus Christ,
- Who live and pray under the AUTHORITY of Jesus Christ.
This is the prayer that the children learn:
Dear heavenly Father,
Thank you for loving me and making me one of your children.
Help me love and obey you.
Help me love others the way you love me.
I am sorry for my sins. Wash me clean.
I will praise you with all my heart!
Jesus, I want to follow you as my Lord.
Change me any way you want.
Fill me with your Holy Spirit.
Make me an instrument of your grace, truth, and justice.
Use me for Your glory and to invite others to follow you.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Each line of the prayer is illustrated and has a scripture verse the children learn. There is also a “Teachers’ Section” that is a line by line study guide of this prayer. There are nine parts to each line of the prayer:
- Can you say it? Learn the memory verse.
- Can you find it? Additional scripture references.
- Can you feel it? Time for kids to ask questions.
- Popcorn Prayer breakout session. Time to experience prayer personally.
- Talk it. In-depth discussion starters.
- Can you hear it? Time for them to share in their own words about the Bible story.
- Can you do it? Application section.
- Colorful worksheets can be printed from www.theprayercovenant.org
- It’s a Rap. Activity portion of the session.
This is an excellent resource for the home and church to partner together to make praying disciples of our children.